It takes effective effort and clearly defined purpose to manage ADHD and develop EF skills.
A Holistic Approach to Executive Function Coaching
By looking holistically at the deficits, executive function coaching helps clients develop life skills, not just homework skills. Coaches help clients develop morning schedules, evening schedules, and homework schedules focused on managing priorities and daily goals. Coaches will work with therapists, teachers, and parents to develop a comprehensive skill development plan that looks at long term growth around academic skills, and life skills.
Russell Barkley, a leading expert in ADHD, states that developing executive function skills starts with repeated practice in self-monitoring, seeing the future, saying the future, feeling the future, playing with the future so as to effectively “plan and go” towards the future.
EEC coaches work with clients and families on an executive function skill development process that addresses core deficits. Below are benchmarks in the coaching process.
- Screening call – can we help?
- Team meeting 1 – get to know you
- Parent meeting 2 – family vision/supports (school, home, medical, therapeutic)
- Pre-assessment – strengths and lagging skills
- Home-based consultation- organization / routines / walkthrough
- What are the gifts of ADHD?
- Discover innate strengths
- Know the plans for the future
- Maintain a schedule or planner
- Independently maintain a positive routine
- Independently manage priorities
- Independently control distraction
- Future plan responsibilities
- Evaluate progress towards goals
- Develop grit and a growth mindset
- See setbacks as opportunities
- Asking for help, when needed
- Exit plan for the coaching process
The EEC coaching model teaches skills to address executive function deficits in:
Self-regulation skills, scheduling skills, future planning skills, study skills, independence skills, prioritizing responsibilities, stress management skills, managing distractions, organizational skills, writing skills, temporal skills, spatial skills.
All coaches are trained in the 360-degree methodology, developed by Sarah Ward and Kristin Jacobsen.
CONTACT US TODAY